Our Story & Heritage
Since 1866 Hamilton & Inches has been Edinburgh’s premiere destination for fine jewellery, luxury watches and hand-crafted silver. We have maintained our own silver workshops since our inception, and have held a Royal Warrant as silversmiths to Her Majesty the Queen for more than 120 years. We continue to offer a range of specialist in-house services including repairs, engravings and valuations.
Founded by Robert Kirk Inches and his uncle James Hamilton, Hamilton & Inches opened its first store on Edinburgh’s Princes Street in May 1866. The 150-year-old firm has been based at 87 George Street since 1952 and continues to house some of the world’s finest watch and jewellery collections, as well as its exceptionally talented team of craftsmen.
Our Royal Warrant
Hamilton & Inches was first granted a Royal Warrant more than 120 years ago, appointed “His Majesty’s Clockmaker and Keeper and Dresser of His Majesty’s Clocks, Watches and Pendulums in Palaces and Houses in his Ancient Kingdom of Scotland.” Though the original title no longer remains, in 2010 we were appointed “Silversmiths and Clock Specialists to her Majesty The Queen.”